The following is a list of some of some of the issues which we are posing as the basis for this critique. A full briefing document is available as a link below.
- The terminal degree for design educators?
- The PhD in relation to tenure for design educators
- Design practice as research
- Design vs Art vs Performance as research
- Artefact vs Text as evidence of research
- Artefact vs Text as means for dissemination
- Developing a design research canon
- Research training
- Modes of submission and examination
- Ethics/IRB in relation to design research
- Design research by the individual, in collaboration and applied
- Practitioners as students – implications for part time, distance and life long learning
- PhD as teacher training
A full briefing document can be found here
There is now a collection of responses to the Briefing Document by the invited speakers and the symposium participants. These can be downloaded below